Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Grain Free, Low Carb – Paleo
12 ounces of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
Additional ghee, grassfed butter or coconut oil
4 cups diced sweet potatoes (about a 1/2 inch dice)
4 cups “shaved” brussel sprouts (you can buy it already shredded at most supermarkets)
1 cup chopped scallions (green and white part)
1/2 red bell pepper and ½ green bell pepper, chopped relatively small pieces
6 large eggs
Sea Salt (or Himalayan pink salt) and Black pepper to taste
1. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet cook the bacon pieces over medium-low heat until crisp (cooking the bacon at a lower temperature will render more fat).
2. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked bacon from the pan. Set aside. You can use the bacon grease that is still in the pan or drain and replace with ghee, grassfed butter or coconut oil to your skillet (about 1/8 inch).
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
4. Increase heat to medium-high and carefully place the diced sweet potatoes in the hot oil. Cook the sweet potatoes (do not stir) until the bottom of the potatoes begin to brown (this can take several minutes). Stir and cook until they just start to soften.
5. Turn heat to high and add the brussel sprouts, scallion, and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are just starting to soften.
6. Stir in bacon pieces. Remove from heat.
7. Make 6 wells in the potato and veggie mixture; break one egg into each well.
8. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 9-14 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Serve immediately. If you prefer scrambled eggs then bake the hash in the oven for 10-15 minutes and while it is baking scramble the eggs in a skillet and serve alongside of eggs or place them on top.